Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Grantchester, Byron's Pool and Farm Shops

One gray, cold day some short time ago I frittered the whole day away on chores and laying about the house. At the end of it I thought that this wasn't really how I imagined my life in England. I realized it would be easy to fill up all my time with day-to-day stuff and have nothing memorable about my fall in England. So I promised myself that any nice day I would get out and make use of my time. Frankly, it seemed like an empty promise. The weather had been solidly cold and rainy for so long (maybe only a week?) that it seemed like the rain might not break until late next spring. However, the very next day the weather changed, and lately we've had one lovely fall day after the next. 
My first outing was back to Grantchester. It's such a pretty bike ride from Cambridge to Grantchester, that it's worth doing multiple times. I also wanted to find Byron's Pool. Apparently, Lord Byron swam here during his time at Cambridge, so they've now named the spot after him.
Doesn't it look like a nice place to float and dream up poems?
Actually, I can't imagine swimming there myself. The water is full of plants. I hate the feel of plants touching my legs when I'm in the water. It is pretty to look at from shore though.
Here's the path that leads to Byron's Pool from the road.
There are a number of farm shops around Cambridge. I've made it my mission to check them out. A short, pretty ride from Grantchester is Burwash Manor.
Burwash Manor wasn't exactly what I was expecting, as I didn't see anything farm related on sale anywhere. It does have a number of cute little shops though.
And it has the obligatory tea room. I personally don't see the point of going for a bike ride unless you're going to have a cute place to eat or drink at the end of it.
Burwash Manor has a number of walking paths around the farm. This little gate leads to a cute church.
Today I decided to try out the Gog Magog Hills Farm Shop. The bike ride isn't quite as charming as the one to Granchester. The bike path is right next to the road, but there is a separate bike path for most of the way.
 Gog Magog Hills is about a 30 minute bike ride from central Cambridge.
 I find it so charming to have such cute farms and countryside so close to the city.
These turkeys all came running up to see me, not realizing I was checking them out wondering whether they'd be ready in time for my Thanksgiving dinner.
I made the big mistake of having a big breakfast before I came here. The food looks really good in their little restaurant - sandwiches, soups, scones and such. I did have a hot chocolate, which was nice. I'm planning on coming back some time to try out more.
Aren't their little felt clouds cute?
Gog Magog is closer to what I imagine a farm shop to be. They have all kinds of fruits, vegetables, cheese, fresh eggs, meat and other tasty-looking items for sale. I'm excited for Mike to try out my purchases.
I spent the morning on my outing to the farm shop, and now this afternoon I will be running errands in downtown Cambridge.

Hopefully this beautiful weather holds out so that I will be able to check out the rest of the farm shops around Cambridge.

2 comments:

  1. "I personally don't see the point of going for a bike ride unless you're going to have a cute place to eat or drink at the end of it" - amen!
    As far as Byron's Pool, it would be a lovely place to float around in a little row boat. Perhaps with something packed along in a picnic hamper to eat or drink? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do you get to have a wonderful day outside, but you get some exercise also. I think biking around the countryside sounds so fun.

    ReplyDelete